Welcoming a Sweet Baby

No, I'm not pregnant!

I had the unbelievable chance to help some wonderful and amazing friends through the birth of her first child. Honestly, the thought of doing that "professionally" (as a doula) has crossed my mind several times. I absolutely enjoy being a support person for someone, especially if they are going through their first pregnancy. Tracy and Kevin allowed me to do that. In fact, towards the end of the pregnancy, Kevin just called me Dr. Abbie. Funny, but definitely not true. There was no way I was going to deliver their baby.

However, they asked me to come and be there to support/encourage through the labor process. She was induced on Friday and I got to go up and sit and visit and laugh (thanks to some amazing friends who watched the kids for me). They told me that because she didn't feel comfortable with his mom, he didn't feel comfortable with her mom, then I was the neutral party. Just call me Switzerland.

I stayed, visited, laughed, and watched contractions (she had an epidural so she didn't feel much of the contractions). Then, I had to run feed Ceili Rain. She nursed and I ran back up to the hospital. She was at a 7 when I started heading back. I relieved Kevin of his husband duties and talked with Tracy while we waited. When she started feeling some pressure I knew she was close (and so did the nurses monitoring her.

I was fully prepared to exit the room but when I asked what they wanted me to do, they told me to stay. So, I was prepared to leave when she was about to deliver...but I just never made it out the door. I spent most of the time trying to get Tracy to relax by making her laugh (in between pushes of course).

So, I attended my first delivery (other than my own five). It was an amazing thing to watch! I'm so thrilled that Tracy and Kevin allowed me to participate. She did an amazing job as a first time mom. Dad did great as a support coach and daddy. He even cut the cord...very impressive for a first time dad not knowing what to expect! They are going to be great parents. Thanks, Tracy & Kevin for letting me hang with you as you waited on Baby W. I feel truly honored and blessed to have been able to watch you bring God's little miracle here into this world.

He loves to chew on his fingers already...he learned that from CeiRai!


Proud mom and sweet baby boy!

Okay, I'm glad I'm not done with this. One of the nurses came in as she was prepping for delivery and asked if we were family. I told her no...then we both kind of said, well, yeah...Tracy is pretty much the little sister I never had (same goes for Mark too). I love having a little sister, finally!!

1 comment: