Close to Home

I was a little absent from blogging last week.  I guess that was obvious.  We're fine here.  Malachi is growing and moving and grooving and having himself a little party in my tummy and I love it!  The kids are all, for the most part, well (the sniffly noses that come with fall weather excluded). 

It's just that our family has friends that were hit with some hard news to swallow.  The "C" word.  Cancer.  Breast cancer to be exact.

I told another friend today that I never thought we'd be the pink ribbon kind of people but things look different when you really know someone who's been diagnosed with it.  And now we have.

It's a reality check.  We're young (okay, relatively).  We have children.  But we're not immortal.  There's still sin and disease and death and all these yucky things we have to deal with are a part of it.  I know this.  None of us are immune.  I know this too.

But it's hard.  When you know you have a friend who is several hours away facing such hard decisions for herself and her family.  She has a two year old.  And a one month old.  I pray for strength for her and her husband every day.  And for their two precious children. 

And if you think she fits the risk factors she doesn't.  Barely 30.  Breast feeding mama.  She even eats tons better than I do.  Grows her veggies and all.  But there it is.  That "C" word doesn't care about risk factors or any other numbers science puts out.

While this diagnosis hangs over them.  Here I sit grumbling and complaining because my back hurts or a kid is whiny or I have to go to the bathroom for the tenth time in ten minutes (the joys of carrying low...at least I can breathe).  My complaints seem so miniscule and remind me once again to lift them up in prayer.

So, if  you see the Crimson Cruiser sporting a "Save the Tatas" sticker (like Mark would ever let me do that), you'll know what's up.   I know we're not the only ones who have loved ones dealing with diseases but this is the closest it's hit for us.  And, hopefully, if you're reading this, you're lifting up this family or others you know up to God.  He alone is Jehovah Jireh, the Provider, the Healer, the Sustainer.

And as I type, all I can think of is 2 Corinthians 12:9, But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Paul suffered so greatly for Christ but even in the darkest points, he knew Christ would sustain him and lift him up for His glory alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment