How to Potty Train a Boy

Okay, so this isn't really on how to potty train a kid. I will say, though, that each child is different and so is each family. So, potty training is different for everyone. We typically start each child off the same way (at least after Zoe) in putting them in undies at 2 and then setting a timer, taking them every 10 to 15 minutes, giving them juice, and giving them a treat when they go. After that, I gradually move into where "I'm" the one potty trained and take them at certain times during the day until they get the hang of it. As I mentioned here, I didn't have to do that gradual thing with Josiah. He (along with lots of cheers and praises and examples from his brothers) did it himself. So, what is life like with a twenty seven month old potty trained little boy? I give you Josiah, the undie boy!


I told him to put them on and then watched as he stuck them on his head and said, "Ho, ho, ho." Then, when I pulled out the camera he said, "Take picta of me mama."

As for potty training books, I would recommend Potty Training in One Day along with any potty videos or kids' books. I was going to post a link to this book but I'm not sure which one it is. I borrowed it from a friend when Liam started training. And, honestly, I didn't follow it to a 't' but I did use some of the activities with Josiah and with Liam. Liam was fully potty trained at 2 1/2 (as was Zoe and Ace) A children's potty book was passed down to us from somewhere and that was staple while Josiah sat on the potty. That book, The Little Engine that Could, and two animal books got us through many trips to the potty.

1 comment:

  1. not only does he wear underwear on his head like any good boy--at least 1 of mine liked to as well--but I think I saw him attempting to be superman last night. From the balcony in the sanctuary. And dad was superman's super dad as he leaped tall buildings to get to superman attempting to try out his flying skills! I had 2 like that--and a dad who did try out his super powers from a balcony on HIS church and lived to tell about that fall to the concrete below,unscathed. AHHH. The life of a mom!!!

    ReplyDelete