Drop Back and Punt

I'm not sure 100% what this means, but for me it means I need to drop back and reset how we do things. Having a new little one means adjustments...and those adjustments mainly apply to Liam.

Today while attempting to get Josiah down for a nap, Liam decided to climb in the kitchen sink (Zoe and Ace had just finished washing dishes and left Liam and the chairs by the sink). He then proceeded to turn the water on while pointing the faucet to the countertop which then proceeded to flood the kitchen!

Before this, as I was attempting to get ready for the day, Liam decided he should climb in our co-sleeper and into Josiah's Snugglenest sleeper while Josiah was in it. So, what should have been about 5 minutes of getting ready resulted in 20 minutes as I would do one thing and then go get Liam and then another and go get Liam.

After cleaning up the kitchen, I once again attempted to get Josiah down for a nap. At which point, Liam decided he should get in the utility room and open the laundry detergent. I'm still not sure if he ingested any but I do know that it was all over his arm and he kept making gagging noises after I cleaned him up. I gave him some milk and it seemed to help. I also called Mark and he thought the milk should do the trick. We left it at I would just watch to see if he truly had any poisioning from it. Not to worry, no residual effects from it!

So, after the above incident, I've changed my strategy with the above "wild child." I'm going to start keeping him in the same room with me at all times. Trying, yes, but a great need since he can't be trusted to not clobber himself while I step out to tend to Josiah. I tried this shortly afterwards, as I was nursing Josiah and it seemed to work well. Hopefully, I can get him to obey long enough to sit with me while I nurse Josiah each time. That's the main time consuming out of pocket time. At other times, I believe I'll just have to "wear" Josiah until his little body gets ready to regulate into nap times and Liam can be left to play in the playroom, etc.

2 comments:

  1. i agree, Abbie. Keeping Liam in the same room with you is a good idea! Do you have gates you could set up? How about a "comfort corner" with some of his favorite things and pillows for him? what about reading him a book as Josiah nurses? Or singing gentle, quiet songs together? check out www.aolff.org for other ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestions! Always nice to have other mother's advice.

    ReplyDelete