Overheard

Proud Mommy Moment:  The kids are outside playing while I get some things done in the kitchen (aka my office).  I have the window open should a need arise and I can hear them singing at the top of their lungs:

"The joy of the Lord, is my strength.  The joy of the Lord, is my strength."

They make it through two verses and then pause and seem to have some kind of discussion.  During that pause my heart swelled.  I was so proud.  My children are remembering and singing the hymns we sing each night during worship.  Wow!  Look how "holy" they are!  I'm just the best mother in the...wait, what are they singing now...

They belt out with, "He tells me funny jokes and I laugh Ha Ha.  He tells me funny jokes and I laugh, ha ha." 

Proud mommy moment deflated.

Now, this verse is not in our hymnal and, after sharing with Mark, learned it is a variation from a verse Mark taught them, "He fills my heart with laughter and I say haha."  Yep, I'm proud again...

***
Josiah can be particular about certain things.  Shoes and socks are one of those things.    He's been learning to put on his socks by himself and his shoes too.  However, it's been quite distressing for him.  One day he came up to Mark looking all perplexed with his socks in his hands.

"Daddy, I don't know which sock goes on which foot."  He announced.  And he was serious.

We tried to tell him it didn't matter, but to him it does.  So, now, when he asks us which sock goes on which foot, we examine the socks, and then declare which one goes on which foot.

And one day that backfired, because he forgot what I told him.  And then when I told him it was the opposite foot from my previous statement he got all confused.  So, then I had to go back and "reexamine" the socks and change my answer again.

***

Speaking of socks.  Mark was giving the announcement to get socks and shoes on to go to church one evening.  Josiah was running around searching and searching.  He finally came to Mark and announced, "Daddy, I don't know where my socks are!"

Mark looked down and informed Josiah, "They're on your feet dude."

Josiah smiled, and said, "Oh!"  and then went and found his shoes.

1 comment: