Takin' it Easy!

We've had quite a week, hence my absence from the blog.  Wednesday afternoon, I received word from my doctor's office that the blood draw they drew two weeks prior showed low progesterone.  They started me on prometrium, which is progesterone.  Now for those who don't know much about pregnancy hormones, here's the gist.  The range for progesterone during the early weeks of pregnancy is around 9 to 46.  My range was in the 9 range but not lower than that.  When a woman is first pregnant, her body produces extra progesterone until the placenta takes over.  A drop in a woman's progesterone levels (or low levels...I never had a drop) can be a a signal of a miscarriage.   Progesterone is responsible for keeping the placenta/baby in place.  When levels drop, contractions can start and all that causes labor can start...which, in early pregnancy is a miscarriage.

So, all that to say, we went in to a regularly scheduled appointment on Thursday afternoon.  I was already scheduled for an ultrasound since the first ultrasound showed a 6 week baby (with heartbeat) and that's considered too early (at least for my doctor) to be considered "viable."  I was also having some upper back pains at the initial visit and I had a really weird cycle which was what prompted my progesterone level to be checked.  I went in with the full knowledge that our baby might not be with us and was prepared for the bad news, etc (even thought I almost threw up at lunch).  Mark could see the screen and watched intently.  He announced that the baby was bigger and all I wanted to know was that there was a heartbeat.  He found it before the tech said anything and signaled a thumbs up and I finally relaxed after 24 hours of holding my breath and praying hard for our little one.

We finished with the ultrasound and waiting on Dr. J.  Nurse D came by and told us that right now we had a very "delicate pregnancy right now" because there was a blood clot.   No heavy lifting, full pelvic rest, and she continued on and on.  We still weren't quite sure what was going on.  Dr. J came in and told me that I had a subchorionic hematoma.  That's a neat medical term that's a new one I learned!  Anyway, what it is, in a nutshell, is a blood clot between the placental membrane and the uterus.  It's not detrimental to me but if it suddenly ruptured or broke off quickly, it could be so to the baby.  In a majority of women, the clot will either be reabsorbed by the body or my body will pass it.  

So, Dr. J said to take it easy.

I stared at him and asked him to please define that.  He asked me what I did all day.  I just stared at him, "Uh, I take care of five children all day..."  So, he defined it as full pelvic rest, no exercising, no heavy lifting, no picking up things heavier than Ceili Rain, no stressful things, etc.  I'm not officially on bed rest.  I don't think I will be unless I start bleeding.  My plan is to do as little as possible to get through a day to make sure our little one grows.  Dr. J wants things to "calm down down there."  So with my prometrium, prenatals, and handful of movies, I am set to entertain the kids.  This just has to be for the next few weeks and then the baby should be good to go.  I'll go back in at about 12 weeks for another check up.  No more progesterone levels checked, no ultrasounds scheduled yet.

All that to say, I should be able to keep the blog updated since I'm not going to be up in the kitchen (not that I feel like cooking), nor puttering around getting school done (although I have to get it ready for January)...it should get interesting around here!  Prayers for B6 would be much appreciated.  We love our little "kidney bean" already and are already thinking about the day we'll meet him or her (Zoe's hoping for another her by the way)!

3 comments:

  1. Praying for you and this baby!! I was on FULL bed rest at this point. School CAN be done while lying on the couch and those oldest kids? They are a gem!!! (Luke might have done grown up things early but i couldn't have stayed home with 2 guys if he hadn't been as much help with Ian as he was) With Josiah though, I had help coming in every day (set up by our church unbeknownst to me during the hour drive back from the hospital) for just a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours in the afternoon to help with the kids and house. AND they had meals planned for us for 3 months!!!! That can never be repaid to THEM, but I try to for others. Is there something I can help you do? Please let me know. Been here and done this. Enjoy laying low and enjoying the kids without the stress of everything else that must get done:) Oh the days of Luke getting a 2 year old Ian up and dressed and breakfast-ed and then a day in the den with mom on the couch and the boys doing school or videos or playing quietly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the prayers. Right now we're just hanging out so not much can be done. Next week will be a test to see what all gets done and how things are handled. Mark's stressed trying to stay on top of things but I think he's doing fine. I believe he'll get supper fixed the evening before so I can pop it in the oven. Same for lunches and, Providentially, I made a bunch of breakfast things a couple of weeks ago and that'll last us into January. But he's still worried about keeping the house picked up and cleaned up for me. I'm trying to not get too stressed about it right now. We only had one more week of school before we took a break so it's not a big deal to shift that week into next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will definitely be praying for you and the baby. We'll add you to our Sunday School list too with lots of prayer warriors. I know it's a scary time. The house work will wait. You've got a good partner to help take care of all the musts!

    ReplyDelete